Monday 8 October 2012

Is high mileage always a good thing?

I was chatting to a good running friend Andy Byrom after the Yorkshire Vets Grand Prix race yesterday when the subject of mileage came up. Andy is relatively new to running having I believe just over a year of serious running behind him and has progressed massively. Apart from the short stuff I have been regularly a long way behind him however I confessed recently he was my target when it came to anything over 5k and recently I have managed to beat him twice.

The conversation started as Andy had posted that he had done 100 miles in September and nearly 1000 for the year. I commented that I had managed around 300 miles year to date, clearly a lot lower. However yesterday at a ridiculously hilly, muddy, technical Vets race I managed to turn a normal substantial deficit into 1 min 14 second win and this a week after out-sprinting him in a 10k.

So the question is does high mileage always help? Obviously this depends on the person and their own body but in my case low mileage seems to suit! I have never been a great trainer, never managing to get the time to go to club nights and generally running alone with my Garmin when I do manage to get out in the week! I have taken to racing more and longer on a Sunday to build my fitness and mainly recovering during the week with the odd short loosener thrown in when I can!

However long term who will benefit most? I have no answers but what seems to suit me is building up by racing and good long recoveries! I’m sure it will be a lot of fun finding out as I now have a target on my back for Andy to aim at!! Hopefully this will help us both progress, though I am not sure what his brother thinks as I took him down as well yesterday, which was not something I expected to do any time soon!!

Incidentally I just did a head to head performance analysis (thank you http://www.runbritainrankings.com!!) with the lady I finished yesterday’s race with and it explained why I didn’t even recognise her: never even been close before with a 10k pb a full 5 minutes better than mine!

Event
Race
Venue
Date
Sharon Williams
Jason Newell
10MMT
Ripley
6 Nov 11
78:08
196 (21)
87:03
380 ( )
6MNAD
Kirkstall
22 May 12
42:45
87 (7)
50:53
189
4.6MMT
Pudsey
12 Jun 12
38:34
63 (4)
43:04
105

I am hoping this is progress, not just me being on a high after the Leeds Rhinos win in the Grand Final the night before!! Who knows, but I am sure it will be a lot of fun finding out!!!

Appreciate any thoughts on the question of mileage- what works for you??

2 comments:

  1. I know I don't take enough time to recover. I've had a Sunday race on pretty much every weekend since April, plus Parkrun's on Saturdays. I've also mixed, 5k, 10k, half mararthon, Fell, Trail and Road so I guess it's going to take it's toll.

    No excuses but yesterday after the downhill road section, I took it steady back through the mud section to avoid a fall, I really should have pushed on, as it would have been an interesting finish between me and Digger. Regardless, finishing in my best ever finish without a fall was a major achievement.

    Enjoy your new found form and speed mate. As you say, I've got someone to aim for now other than Digger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to the day you caught him mate, just never thought I'd be there by then too!! Loving the challenge and sure it will swing back and forwards over time! Sure it will benefit us both!!!!!

    ReplyDelete