Sunday 22 January 2012

My take on the Half Marathon...

So let me set the scene- since taking up running again I have been struggling to complete a 5k parkrun without having to stop for a walk- managed all so far this year in accordance with my New Years resolution and already have a new pb in the bag! Thanks to the ultra supportive and enthusiastic friends at parkrun I have so far in the last 4 months done a 10k, Yorkshire Vets and WY league cross countries and a super hilly 10 miler! I had planned to go as far as a half marathon, targetting the nicely flat Brass Monkey in Jan 2013, concentrating this year on parkrun, various races up to 10k and mainly for 800m on the track.

So a couple of weeks ago when a fellow parkrunner announced he had a place spare at this year's Brass Monkey of course I jumped at the chance- totally unplanned and unprepared however I knew with all the running friends who were doing it I would at least enjoy giving it a go!

That was the best bit- gave a lift to some of parkrun's finest over to York which really helped calm the nerves! Good company, easy chat and Absolute 80s meant we arrived a bit early if I am honest but not too worried about the coming trial! Post run I joined Hyde Park Harriers in the Fox and Grapes for a post race snack and social- bit hot and sweaty but really nice to share it with them!!

So onto the race itself- yes I finished very happy and yes, I can still walk which is a bonus! But how did it really go...

Target- I have 1:50 in my diary and my chip time was 1:53:13. Not good, but not really the main aim of the race! Besides, it was so incredibly windy many said it was worth 5 minutes, however the results have been published now and I cannot change that!

Before today since starting running again the furthest I have run without stopping to walk has been 7k in the Abbey Dash 10k. My aim today was to get to halfway and then see how far I could get before I had to stop. I made it past 10 miles and that is a massive improvement, and with that I am very happy!

However, that point signalled the beginning of the end! Until then I had been on schedule to do 1:46 so it's really a no-brainer: I went off too fast. However, the 8 minute miles I was clocking were consistent and secretly what I had been planning so happy with that- especially as I only thought I'd manage that to halfway!

The last 3 miles were incredibly tough- not happy with that but looking at the bigger picture what did I expect! I have not trained for this, not done a half for 19 years, it was extremely windy and had not planned to do one, I just couldn't resist! So really, quite happy I managed to finish!!

Verdict: great fun, great company, very pleased with the first 10 miles and will do one again! Next time it will be planned and I will not only train but give some thought to the nutritional advice offered to me before the start- what are gels? Never had those last time I did a half marathon!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment