Thursday 22 December 2011

Why "again"??


If you ask most people who knew me at school or university what I did they would say I was that runner- it was what I did.

When I was at junior school I did the usual races- sports day, the district sports etc. Before that however my first running experiences were twofold: being English and growing up in Scotland made me something of a target and hence needed to be quick, and being taken to the highland games and allowed to run in the handicap races! Apparently I cried when I didn’t win…..

By the time I got to secondary school living back in Nottingham with my Grandparents I had pretty much decided I wanted to run. I was after all useless at football, socially ostracised (there are still people I see at home who think I am Scottish due to the accent I had when I was 11!!) and actually very short and shy! Running made me feel free!!

When I started at secondary school I can remember a few details- there were two girls in my class I liked, Kay and Colette, I was 147cm tall (18th tallest in my class out of 30) and my form tutor was a complete bitch- Ms King! Still can’t remember why she left but by the end of the year we had Miss Brooks….

Incidentally we got measured at the start of every year- I was 147, 151, 166, 176, 183cm in my 5 years at school- that is a 6 inch growth in my second year and in the next two as well! No wonder I have stretch marks….

We also had a Chemistry teacher called Mr Domleo- he ran the cross country team which I joined. For the first year I was second- all the time. My bester was Adrian Gillman- no idea why, he was just faster! I did win the district cross country though, but I can’t remember how!! It was on our local course near school, a strange out, loop and back course but it suited me!!

By the time we got to the second year (year 8 for you youngsters out there!!) I had him beat- I won the inter-from cross country and the district xc again, being picked for the 3rd year team in the county champs as 3rd qualifier out of 8! I was on it that day- and what made it for me was that as I left the school field for the country I passed my Grandad walking the dog- pretending it was happy chance but he never walked that way!

I spent many years after that racing cross country in the winter, track in the summer and sometimes on the roads. By the time I left university I had 15 years experience of racing and it was just what I did. By this time I had a decent range of pb’s-

400m   52.5
800m   1:57.1
1500m 4:15
5k        16:28
10k      34:32
½ M     1:22:59

as well as representing my County a few times and even racing Wilson Kipketer in the Danish national indoor junior (U22) track final!! 

When I got ill in 1997 with glandular fever I never thought it would take me away from what I had loved for so long. I tried to get back into it but every time it knocked me out, for a month at a time!

I gave it up then, and took up football! I had been playing socially 5-a side and realised I was useless unless I was in goal- then I turned into a raving loony who flatly refused to let anyone score past me! I got invited to join a team and we won the corporate league in Harrogate- then one night me and Sar went for a drink with an ex-girlfriend Cathy in Roundhay and heard the fateful words-

“Can you help us out- just this weekend. We need a goalkeeper…”

12 years after that I retired from their 5 and 11 a side teams as my joints started to hurt. My style of goalkeeping was described as kamikaze but I loved it. The adrenalin rush was close to what I used to get doing an 800m!! Thanks Cathy for introducing me to Andy Miller- we had a great time and I know I did a good job!!

So a couple of years after giving up football I started running again- my first event was the Leeds Half Marathon Corporate challenge (run as a 6 leg relay) in which I just about managed to cover 3 miles. Then I discovered parkrun, turned up a couple of times and the rest is history!! I am back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment