Wednesday 14 December 2011

The parkrun bug finds the unlikeliest new recruit!

When I first started parkrun, Jamie (then aged 4 and a half) wanted to run it. It was nearly a year before I let him but at his first attempt he managed the whole 5k non-stop! Very proud!! He has since done 6, the latest a 2 minute pb at Roundhay of all places in 35:22!!!

For years my wife (Sarah for those who don't know!) has expressed her dislike of athletics- either watching (boring) or taking part (no interest, never have, never will!). Sometimes I enjoyed the fact that I went off and did my own thing, had my own friends and a couple of hours doing something different- unfortunately I have one of those annoying personalities that tries to get everyone to like something if I do! It's a fault, but sometimes leads people to something new they do like!!

On the 4th June 2011 I persuaded Sar to run the Bradford parkrun with Jamie. We did it in fancy dress (myself and Jamie as 118 and 117 1/2!!) and Jamie loved it! Once I had finished my 3 laps (with an 8 second pb, sweating like a bugger under the black afro wig that was part of my costume) I joined them for their last lap. Jamie took a minute out of Sar on that lap and she really did not enjoy it.

The next Friday she said the most astonishing thing- "I want to run for myself!". One quickly arranged babysitter later and we are of to Hyde Park for her first proper run!! I was really excited that she wanted to run for herself ("I told you you'd love it") that I ran a 32 second pb- also to do with the fact that I lapped her on the last hill and daren't slow down!!

Sar did 37:35 that day - the following 11 weeks saw 10 pb's, taking her time down to 31:24!!! That was fantastic but what I really love about it is that it instantly became a part of the weekly diary, even that one Saturday in July when Sam's magic failed to prevent the rain and I was poorly, Sar was there- looking like a drowned rat but never any question about not going!!

So we are now a running family- Jamie is desperate to get his 10 T-Shirt, even though at 6 he is unlikely to get one small enough, and I am heading for 50 (runs, not my age before you wags start chipping in)!!! There is even talk that Sar might do a 10k!! I am not sure she enjoys the whole social side of things as much as me- she likes to run with headphones in in her own world, but afterwards she is often seen chatting to George and others as much as me- though of course I get the blame!! I know- I talk too much.....

No comments:

Post a Comment